For the past several months I have been using a custom ROM of Android Nougat on my Moto G3 smartphone (See: A Stable Custom ROM for the Moto G3) that has been receiving monthly, over-the-air (OTA), security updates. Now, MSe1969, the ROM’s developer from Frankfurt, Germany, has announced the availability of an Android Pie version of his software and has noted that this will become a replacement for the Nougat variant.
The Android 7.x (Nougat) version of the custom ROM was based on LineageOS 14.1, while the new Android 9 (Pie) version is based on LineageOS 16.0. The developer has been exceptionally considerate to users of the earlier version of the ROM and has provided a migration package to aid in the transition process. Installing the migration package makes the switch to Android Pie while retaining user data. Once this process has been successfully completed, the OTA Updater offers the latest updated software to complete the transition to Pie.
The specific steps that I followed to upgrade my Moto G3 to Android Pie were as follows:
(1) Download lineage-16.0-20200428-MIGRATION-signed-osprey.zip (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lin16-microg/)
(2) Download Gapps (ARM, 9.0, pico), open_gapps-arm-9.0-pico-20200508.zip (https://opengapps.org)
(3) Switch off automatic updates in Play Store
(4) Boot into TWRP
(5) Wipe the system partition
(6) Install lineage-16.0-20200428-MIGRATION-signed-osprey.zip
(7) Wipe Cache/Dalvik
(8) Install open_gapps-arm-9.0-pico-20200508.zip
(9) Wipe Cache/Dalvik
(11) Log in to Wi-Fi
(12) Navigate to Settings – System – Advanced – Updater
(13) Download and install LineageOS 16.0 May 6, 2020
The installation stopped at a screen with just the date and time, and a shield icon which turned out to be some sort of indication of trust. I wasn’t sure if the update was still running or how to proceed; however, pressing the power key brought the system to life. [It appears that the trick with Pie may be to double-tap on the screen and then swipe up to unlock.]
As initially discovered with waking up the phone, the user interface for Pie is somewhat different from that of Nougat, so it appears that there will be a bit of a learning curve going forward.
A Stable Custom ROM for the Moto G3
[ROM][Osprey][LineageOS 14.1][Substratum][microG] (hardened) 7th May 2020, 03:15 PM | #300
[ROM][Unofficial][9.0.0][signed]LineageOS 16.0 for Osprey
lin16-microG – Brought to you by: mse1969